Technical Difficulties from on Top of the Mountain
2005-03-17
  More cool things you can do with a Treo
This might apply to any cell phone with a camera, but my wife's cell phone pictures were so bad, they weren't really usable (even outdoors). Anyways, the Treo 650 has a much improved camera (vs the 600, though there's a rumor is just a software upgrade). Besides taking pictures of the kids, and random travelogs; I have one folder organized on my 1GB flash card for stuff. I'm always seeing stuff at stores and thinking to myself that I'd like to check that movie out at the library, or maybe put a particular item on my Christmas wish list, so instead of trying to remember (never works), or writing it down (forget the paper idea, but I guess I could record it in notepad), I just take a picture of it. And with the decent screen on the Treo, I can actually get an approximate idea of how good the picture came out.

So I was at Ace ordering a window for my garage because while it was going to be a standard size (6'0 by 2'0), I ended up messing up the framing and only left a 5'6" opening. Can't get a window that size, but you can get one five foot wide, so I ordered it and it should be in in three weeks. Anyways, I remembered that I also needed wheels for Max's bike (which is another story), and while I was in that row, I turned around and saw this this cool tool:

Now, some of you may be wondering what this is, and others might be wondering why I want to spend $40 on a maul, and a few might be wondering what's so special about an Estwing, well, let me tell you a story.

camping woods tent

A long time ago, when we first moved to Flagstaff we still lived in the city proper (about 0.75 miles from where we live now), in a tiny little apartment surrounded by hundreds of other apartments and apartment dwellers. So when our friends (who also moved out to Flagstaff from California with us) called up and wanted to go spend the weekend in the woods, we said, "Sure, why not." We'd grab out tent, sleeping bag, cooler and other various camping-like stuff; and head about twenty miles south into the woods where we'd setup the tents, gather some wood, start a fire, and sit around playing musical chairs as the wind blew in different directions and smoked us out.

It was in preparation for one such outing that I decided it would be cool to be able to chop the wood we found so that it would actually fit in the firepit, instead of hanging out on the side. (We were usually too lazy to walk far enough to find properly sized wood.) While I could snap the smaller pieces, any limb of decent size was usually ten feet long or more. So while shopping for other junk imported from China at WalMart, I picked up an ax.

Now I don't know how you usually use an ax, but it took me all of four swings to break that ax. Ok, so once I missed and hit the ax on the handle, but still, that's pretty lame. The next morning when the ladies decided to head back to the house for their morning shower (ok, we're not very serious campers), Pierce and I decided to go back into town and get another ax. We went back to WalMart to exchange it. Mission accomplished, we were back to the woods to try again.

   Swing   CHOP
   Swing   BREAK
So now this was getting annoying. Obviously this was another example of the fine merchandise offered by America's biggest retail store and I didn't have any expectations that another exchange would bring about any improvement. So it was time to try some other sources. There was a small mom & pop general store a couple miles away from our campsite, so we popped over there to see what they had, and picked up another ax. Well it lasted longer than the one from China, but not much longer. I was kind of down on wooden handles at that point.

After checking the usual suspects around town, I finally found this one in a small Ace Hardware tucked in a strip mall over on the other side of town. Like the hammers Estwing makes, this 2.5' ax is forged as a single piece of steel with a rubber grip molded around the handle. Its very impressive. The price is pretty impressive too, but just lasting an entire camping weekend should easily be worth saving several drives into town and actually having some wood the proper length for the fire. So I got it. And it worked.

It worked great in fact. It lasted that entire camping season, and the next, and in fact I still have it today and use it on occasion when I want to make a bloody mess out of the end of a log. Its still pretty sharp, except where I've nicked the blade here and there on a rock (or when my wife starts using it to attack weeds growing in the gravel pile), and it takes all the abuse I've given it, though it doesn't make that great a pry bar just because the handle is somewhat flattened and doesn't have much torsional strength sideways. I even got its little brother the hatchet, which is great for removing limbs from logs before I cut them up for firewood.

bow saw

But I don't go camping any more, and most of the time I'm cutting logs with a bow saw, and then splitting them. Which is why I have my eye on this new estwing splitting tool. While the marketing material seems to indicate that its a great tool to use indoors, I think its going to get most of its use outside — softening up recalcitrant logs and making a good starting point for a wedge on the larger pieces. (Besides my wife would probably kill me if I tried to split wood in the house, its bad enough when I leave a trail of bark and wood chips from the back door to the wood stove.)

Maybe I won't get it yet. After all $40 is a little steep, though they have it here for only $30 (plus another $6 shipping). Maybe I'll take a look at the end of summer when the wood will need my attention. Until then, I'll have a reminder tucked away on my phone, where I won't forget it.

 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Life in the middle of nowhere, remote programming to try and support it, startups, children, and some tinkering when I get a chance.

ARCHIVES
January 2004 / February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / August 2008 / February 2009 / August 2009 / February 2010 / February 2011 / March 2011 / October 2011 / March 2012 / July 2013 / August 2013 / September 2013 / October 2013 / November 2013 / December 2013 / December 2014 / February 2015 / March 2015 / July 2016 / September 2016 / December 2016 / April 2017 / June 2017 / July 2018 / November 2018 / January 2019 / February 2019 / April 2019 / December 2019 / March 2020 / April 2020 / May 2020 / September 2020 / November 2020 / March 2021 / May 2023 /


Blogroll
Paul Graham's Essays
You may not want to write in Lisp, but his advise on software, life and business is always worth listening to.
How to save the world
Dave Pollard working on changing the world .. one partially baked idea at a time.
SnowDeal
Eric Snowdeal IV - born 15 weeks too soon, now living a normal baby life.
Land and Hold Short
The life of a pilot.

The best of?
Jan '04
The second best villain of all times.

Feb '04
Oops I dropped by satellite.
New Jets create excitement in the air.
The audience is not listening.

Mar '04
Neat chemicals you don't want to mess with.
The Lack of Practise Effect

Apr '04
Scramjets take to the air
Doing dangerous things in the fire.
The Real Way to get a job

May '04
Checking out cool tools (with the kids)
A master geek (Ink Tank flashback)
How to play with your kids

Powered by Blogger